Photo of 4 Young Men BARNARD/BEVAN/GRIFFITHS/GREEN families? (General)

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Friday, July 19, 2019, 17:48 (1745 days ago) @ Jefff

Very briefly I'm afraid,

I would have said the man at right is brother of man at front, similar facial features, nose, eyes, eye brows etc. The one at right is possibly? the older of the two. I wouldn't be surprised if all three dark-haired men are much of a muchness age-wise, mid 20s perhaps, altho' I'm not expert. Yes the man at right is dressed typical of a miner or similar working-class of the era. Looking again, I'd suggest the man at far left COULD be the brother of the other two dark men, albeit he looks slightly younger/less well-built, and is maybe less confident - perhaps he's the thinker / scholar of the three ?

I do not believe the fair man at the back is 13, I'd place him as 18 at the least.
He's also a rather snappy dresser which at first glance last week suggested a wealthier background than the others. I don't think a 13 year old lad would have dressed this way at that time.

???

ps by studying the original photo under magnification, can you see any markings etc on the lapel buttonhole "badges" worn by the middle pair - that's if they are badges, could be some helpful clues there ?

thanks Jefff

yes I agree that the man at the right is brother of man at the front, I think they have similar facial features. this is one of the reasons I have thought that they are two brothers from one father and two from another..... but with the same mother.

the one on the left side of the picture looks more like a scholar than a miner.... although one of Mike's other great grandfathers was a miner and in the only photo we have of him looks slight.

when I said that the man at the back might be 13 years old I was just saying that if they were signing up for war in 1914 then he would be only 13 years old..... I've always thought he looked about 14... but the photo-dating expert thought he would be later teens.... so she agrees with you.

I've tried to see the logos on the badges.... but it is difficult to make out anything of note.

thanks again

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread