John Holder Worgan (1835-1907). (Parish Records)

by PamChilds1, Kapiti Coast, New Zealand, Tuesday, August 03, 2021, 03:52 (996 days ago) @ jhopkins

Ian, I just checked the NZ BDM registry online and found that there is a death record for John Holder Worgan for 1869. Hard to think it could be anyone else with a name like that and a NZ population so small at that time.

Sadly the journey to NZ of this wee part of the Worgan/Hopkins family was ill fated. I wonder what happened to the children?

John

Greetings from New Zealand. John Holder Worgan (b. 1835), the husband of Janetta Hopkins, was actually the father of the John Holder Worgan who died in 1869. After Janetta's death in 1863, John married his second wife Harriet(t) Eaton on 15 April 1865 and they had several children: Thomas Emanuel 1866, John David 1867, Annie Elizabeth 1869, Harriet Rosina 1871, William 1873, Albert John 1884. Some of these died in infancy. However, John Holder Worgan Sr. appears to have left Harriet at around the time of Albert's death and he is next found in Monmouthshire, Wales in the 1891 census, with Elizabeth and their three children, John (another John Holder Worgan), Bertie and Jesse. There are articles in Trove and Papers Past in the late 1890s regarding a legal case involving Harriett and the Lyttelton property.

Pam

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread