Dr Abel (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Monday, April 11, 2022, 09:03 (738 days ago) @ Kate

Hi

Following on with looking for records to do with Dr Joseph Abel/Abell of Mitcheldean, his parents and his siblings, would anyone have access to the following book ?

"A Calendar of the Registers of the Apprentices of the City of Gloucester 1700 - 1834" by Jill Barlow

My reason for asking is that Joseph spent his childhood in Gloucester where his father, Thomas Abel was a Victualler with the family owning The Fox Inn located in Mercers Lane Gloucester. Members of the family owned the Inn for almost 100 years. Before becoming a Victualler, Thomas Abel was apprenticed to William Murcott as a cabinet maker/joiner.

Before son Joseph Abel moved to Micheldean to live in 1822 at the latest, he was a Surgeon in the Army. First record discovered to date was in July 1805 when he and his brother William became Freemen of The City of Gloucester. Joseph was listed a Surgeon.

My current thinking is that he gained his Medical Qualifications by being apprenticed to another Surgeon hopefully in Gloucester. Also hopefully this apprenticeship would have been listed in the above register.

Also looking for more apprenticeship records for his Father ,Thomas.

Any help greatly appreciated.

But wait there's more, Does anyone know if early Kings School Gloucester pupil records might be available somewhere ?

Thank you

Sid Toomey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread