Cwmtillery DAVIES KEYSE and SOLLARS (General)

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Friday, March 24, 2023, 21:14 (401 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Slowhands,

Apologies, but I’ve only just seen your latest reply.

Thanks for the detail, but I’m still confused and need to digest all of this. My queries though are:
The marriage of 1891 details Charles as “Matilda’s” father. However, the 1871 Census in Wheatenhurst would suggest that Richard is her father?
Why is Hanna M listed with a surname of Sollers in 1871 and then Keyse in 1881 and Seller in 1891? Is it because her parents have split up? Certainly at 3 months she is living with her parents (Sollars) but in 1881 and 1891 she is living with grandparents and then her auntie, and reverted to her mother’s maiden name of Keyse and then Seller.

The 1891 Census has Hannah M Seller living in Ross with her auntie, but 8 months later her marriage details state that Matilda Keyse is living with her grooms parents at Alton Court in Ross?

Do you think we are talking about the same person?

We have a census entry in 1901 for George Davies (married but not with his wife and boarding) in Abertillery, occupation
“Coal hewer”. Nothing after this date for either, so your potential idea of emigration is worth investigating. Alternatively he (they?) may have moved to coalfields elsewhere, so Yorkshire/the North East? No luck with finding Matilda Davies from 1901, but then I’ve been looking for Matilda Davies, not Keyse or Seller/Soller.

Regards

Mike

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread