HATTON Family - Ruardean (General)

by Jenny White, Sunday, November 20, 2005, 15:41 (6734 days ago)

I am trying to untangle my Hatton ancestors.

They start with Jane HATTON born abt 1821. Jane married James GRIFFITHS in 1845.

Jane's mother was Sarah HATTON born abt 1780 (age determined from census information). There is also a brother for Jane, called James HATTON born abt 1824. Jane HATTON's marriage certificate does not name a father. Her mother, Sarah, declares herself to be a widow on both 1841 and 1851 census.

So far, parish records do not show a marriage for Sarah HATTON nor a burial for a possible husband. There are records of burials of children for a Richard HATTON and wife Sarah but I believe Richard to be Sarah's brother.

There is a Richard HATTON still alive and married to a Sarah on 1851 census. Also, this Richad and Sarah had a daughter called Caroline HATTON. Caroline later married David Lloyd in 1843 and appeared as one of the witnesses on Jane HATTON's marriage certificate as Caroline Lloyd. I believe Jane HATTON and Caroline HATTON to be cousins.

From parish records it looks as though Sarah HATTON could be the daughter of Thomas HATTON and Mary NELMES. Thomas and Mary had 10 children, including a Sarah HATTON bap 30 June 1782 and a Richard HATTON bap 14 December 1777.

I think Sarah may have had 5 illegitimate children. I think Jane and James were illegitimate. There is a birth of Sarah HATTON in 1810 with mother Sarah HATTON. There is also a burial 14 May 1810 for a Sarah HATTON, child. Two other parish record entries detail burials of illegitimate children for a Sarah HATTON in 1814 and 1827.

If my theory is correct and Sarah is the daughter of Thomas HATTON and Mary NELMES then two of Sarah's sisters also possibly had illegitimate children. Mary HATTON bap 1786 with illegitimate son Cornelius HATTON bap 1808 and Elizabeth HATTON bap 1779 with illegitimate son, William bap 1798.

I would very much like to find details of the birth of Jane HATTON and JAMES HATTON to confirm whether there is in fact a father.

This is my theory on Jane HATTON's ancestors so far. Does anyone have any information to add to it or connect in any way?

Jenny

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread