MACHEN Family and SMITH Family Letter 1873-1889 (General)

by jevans @, USA, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 16:29 (2785 days ago) @ Jefff

That is interesting that the Machen family were society folks. Does that mean there was some connection to royalty? I ask because family lore has it that my gg grandmother Jane Smith, (the one who emigrated to the US at age 20) worked as a nanny for "royalty". I am sure many of us descendants of British ancestors think their forebears had some connection to royalty. ;)

I am attaching another letter from Mary Smith to Jane Smith that mentions a "Master Anthony" and a Mrs. Temple. It appears that Mrs. Temple had visited Jane and her husband John Collins in the US, as it mentions something that happened to Jane. She had lost two children in infancy, so sounds like her mother is commiserating with her. The Lodge noted at the top of the letter is, I believe Mailscot Lodge, where the Smiths lived.

Here is the letter. Any feedback is welcome!

The Lodge, Jan. 21

Dear Jane,
It was a great relief when I received your kind letter. I send every day to enquire for a letter. After I ---- it I had one from Elen (Dykes)on Wednesday. I was very sorry indeed to hear it more so as you were by yourselves. Mrs. Temple called hear today with Master Anthony (?). He is grown very much. I suppose poor Master ----? Was much taller ---? Much you will all. ---? ---? I don’t know wither you will be able to read this for but one letter for another I think soon as ---? be able to write at all. Mrs. Temple is given me such a good account of you both that I feel quite pleased. Did you have the for---? I sent at Christmas, if you have time write to Fany (Whittington) she want to know what is become of you. She is hear. I suppose Polly (nickname for one of Jane’ sisters, not sure which – Elizabeth?) send her love, I have told Elen about George old ---? Is home still I don’t know when he is going from here we have got the new windows in at last They have been talked about for years they look much nicer and give more light I think I told you that M A. prob--? as been home. She as been living London way. She is gone back, a lady sent for her to go with her to the east indies as nurse. Mrs. Linnett at Huntsham is dead. She had a stroke and died in a few days. I am going to send f---? flowers. The weather is so mild that the spring flowers are coming out . Polly sent the lilies.
---? Dear Jane I must conclude kind ---? On all and from your affectionate mother Mary Smith
Harriett (Clements - Jane’s sister) had your letter on Monday

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread