MACHEN Family and SMITH Family Letter 1873-1889 (General)

by jevans @, USA, Monday, September 12, 2016, 15:11 (2784 days ago) @ Jefff

Jefff and Mike,

You're confused? My head is spinning. The Machen and Linnett families are not mine (that I know of). I just thought someone who belongs to them might be interested in what was contained in the letters from Mary Smith. I was digging around and found some interesting info on the Machens. They were, indeed, "somebody". http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp101-117
I checked the surname registry on the FOD Site and looks like no one is interested in that name, which is too bad...

-And I wonder if this was the family that my Jane Smith nannied? And like you mentioned, they may have seemed like royalty to our family and that idea is what got passed down.

Mike - the Temples are interesting because they came from Devon - where Jane Smith's future husband, John Collins was from - in the Wambrook area. So maybe there is a connection there that will help me figure out how he and Jane got together in the first place. Thanks for your work on that!

I appreciate all your help and time investigating, but don't want to be a burden chiefly because I will be asking another big question soon, when I can get my query organized. My husband and I and my cousin and her husband are planning a trip to FOD next September so I an trying to search as far back as possible before then. However the Smiths are not cooperating...

Again, thank you for all your help. It is so wonderful to have this site - it is a great resource and the Forum is a gift!

-Janet

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread