SMITH, EDWARD (General)

by jevans @, USA, Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 17:43 (2623 days ago) @ jevans

Hello!
I’m coming to you again for help. To be honest – I am so confused that it’s difficult to phrase my question.

I am seeking to confirm the grandfather of Richard Smith (1800-1864) of Hillersland (baptized in Dixton). I believe his father and mother were Edward and Elizabeth (Gwilliam) Smith (from the memorial inscription listing Richard’s mother, Elizabeth, died in 1864 at age 93 (which would have made her birth year about 1771), and the parish records for baptism and marriage (there is no death record for Edward that I can find). So I am fairly confident that Edward and Elizabeth are Richard’s parents. The family were listed in the English Bicknor and Christchurch parishes.

When I tried to search for Richard’s grandfather, things get confusing. There is an Edward Smith who died in 1775, the same year his son, Edward was born – and the time frame fits for Richard’s birth in 1800. This is a possibility but not sure as the parish was listed as Staunton near Newent. The mother was Anne Williams (they married 1763 in Staunton). They also had a son born 1774, named Richard.

Could the Staunton Edward could be the grandfather of Richard?

Also, Richard and his father Edward were both lodge keepers. So another part of my question is how did one become a keeper? It almost looks as if the position was passed on from father to son, but I cannot find where Edward’s father was a keeper. And if the elder Edward did come from the Staunton area, is that too far to think the he might be Richard’s grandfather? Also, how would his son Edward ended up as a keeper?

Thank you for your help,
Janet

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread