Elizabeth EACUPS 1849 Littledean (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, November 19, 2016, 00:35 (2718 days ago) @ dcolley

Can you confirm Elizabeth's father was William Eacups?

Hi and welcome to this forum and website.

Slowhand's earlier post in this thread indicates Elizabeth's parents in the 1851 & 1861 Census were William and Ann.

Searching this website's Parish Records database gives Elizabeth's marriage to Moses Leadbeater in 1866, it records her father as William. The full transcription was posted earlier in this thread by Slowhands.

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/parish-records-search

Using this link I think this is William's Burial Record.

Record_ID: 55595
Entry_Number: 960
Year: 1882
Month: Jun
Day: 6
Surname: EECUPS
Forenames: William
Residence: Cinderford
Age_at_death: 75 y[ea]rs
Officiating_Minister: T.A.Beattie
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/13
Page_No: 120
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John
Soundex: E212

So born abt 1807 ?

Ancestry has their Marriage Record, at Ann's home town of Eastington (across the Severn nr Stonehouse) as per the Census',

Name: William Hiccups
Marriage Date: 15 Jun 1834
Spouse: Ann Davis
Event Type: Marriage
Parish: Eastington, Gloucestershire
Register Type: Bishop's Transcripts
Witnesses: William Guest? and Eliza Hiccups

For completeness, here they are in the

1841 Census for Littledean
Given Name Surname Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth County Birth Country
William Ecups 27 1814 Male Collier Gloucestershire England
Ann Ecups 28 1813 Female Gloucestershire England
Mary Ecups 7 1834 Female Gloucestershire England
Charles Ecups 2 1839 Male Gloucestershire England
William Ecups 2 W 1841 Male Gloucestershire England

The Census is neatly-written and legible, so it's annoying to me that I cannot readily identify all the placenames given against many of the dwellings including this one. It looks like they and their immediate neighbours are at "Great Elm?", which is located between "Littledean Hill" and "Bailey" judging by the adjacent census entries. Searching the British History site confirms it is probably "Elm", saying
"The north-west end of the village centred on Nightingale's Cross, so called by 1591, where the road forked for Callamore and St. White's; a great elm standing there was a prominent landmark in the 18th century."
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp159-173

So they lived near the base of Littledean Hill, where the main road dropping from Cinderford swings right and levels into Littledean village on Broad Street, next to Littledean House Hotel.
See page 17 "Littledean House" of this site's Littledean gallery for the oldest photo I've seen of this end of Littledean. The road splits in the distance past the House/Hotel, the main branch going left up to Cinderford (St Whites), ie at "Nightingale's Cross". Old OS maps show this short section of road as "High Street", nowadays the re-modelled main road runs alongside it as it cuts across the original sharp corner.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/littledean

Searching Ann using Ancestry(as other websites are struggling with the variety of spellings of this unusual surname) we find her Burial Record. It is indeed within this FoD site's PRs, which is actually Ancestry's source of data.

Record_ID: 5223
Entry_Number: 628
Year: 1865
Month: May
Day: 6
Surname: HAYCUPS
Forenames: Ann
Residence: Cinderford
Age_at_death: 56 years
Officiating_Minister: J.G.Smythies
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 in 1/12
Page_No: 79
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John
Soundex: H212

So born abt 1809

Sorry for my confusion, please can you rephrase your other questions, thanks.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread