Morgan Origins (General)

by nan\'s families, Monday, March 03, 2008, 11:25 (5890 days ago) @ Kathy Fletcher

Hello Kathy
I've only just joined this excellent site, as I am researching my 'grandmother's' family the Morgans and have discovered they originated from the Forest of Dean.

I got back to her g.grandparents and from their marriage certificate her g.g.grandfather William Morgan. Her g.grandfather was William Morgan circa 1825/7, on census' from Newland, Glos/ Forest of Dean, Glos/ Bream, Glos.

Thanks to some very kind people on this site, it would seem that William may have been illegitimate and his father may or may not have been the said William Morgan as his probable mother was Diana Morgan, unmarried, but with a number of children, including Mary and William in 1841 census. In 1851 William was a visitor in Mynyddislwyn, Monmouthshire and married and settled there temporarily in 1852, moved to Somerset by next census 1861 but had then moved back to Monmouthshire by 1871 and permanently settled there. In 1851 Bream, Diana and her daughter Mary were still together with another child Carmalla also down as a daughter, although the baptism records show her to be the daughter of Mary.

You will know Carmalla married John Fletcher as they are your relatives. My William named one of his daughters Carmela, he also had two sons whom he named Ernest and Alfred, which were the names of your Carmalla's sons also.

I am convinced that William is part of that family now as there are too many name coincidences occurring. If I am right, William would have been your Carmalla's uncle.

Have you any evidence in your findings of any William Morgan in your family. I would love to hear from you to share our findings.

Kind Regards
Dorothy

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread