Robert KEERE of Tidenham c.1260/70 (General)

by AverilKear @, Forest of Dean, Saturday, June 19, 2010, 12:45 (5068 days ago) @ gallois

A regnal year is a year of the reign of a sovereign. From Latin regnum meaning kingdom, rule. This means that sometimes a date used for an event like a baptism, marriage or burial can be quoted as occuring during the year of reign which was noted from the time of coronation for a whole year. Thus If the monarch was crownd in August of one year then his 1st year of reign would run until August of the next year. So you would then get a date of say 21.8.1642/3.

I have found two possibilities for the baptism of your James Morgan who married Jane Kear at Newland on 4.11.1766
The first is a James Morgan baptised on 3.4.1743 at Newland, father William and mother Elizabeth (nee Uly).

The second is a James Morgan baptised on 22.1.1743 at English Bicknor, father William.

The only way you will be able to prove definitely which was your ancestor is by tracing the Morgan family tree back from what you already know, through using census returns and parish registers. The parish registers for Newland and English Bicknor are held at the Glos. Archives.

I wish you every success with your research

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread