Hyett before 1635 (General)

by Richard Hulan @, Friday, May 11, 2012, 02:14 (4368 days ago) @ johananhyatt

Has anybody looked at this surname (and family history) who is competent in Welsh names, as spelled and pronounced by English people who don't actually speak Welsh?

Your Hyett line probably has more to do with this one than with the people at Painswick House:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/hyatt/messages/1495.html

Whether that source is right or wrong, I have no idea. But I wonder whether the surnames Hewett and/or Hewlett might be a better fit (for Hyett) than Hyatt -- although the latter is the usual American spelling.

These thoughts were stimulated by my personal interest in the FoD family of Hulin, also spelled Hewlin (both sides of the pond), with many variants. Like Hyett, it has a deep association with St. Briavels, and the occupation of forestry -- and perhaps has a Welsh origin in the given name Hywel (rather than the commonly assumed English "Hugh").

I continue to hope that eventually this FoD interest group will recognize the usefulness of surname Y-DNA projects. Several questions of this sort might be resolved. One can only go so far with rampant speculation, based on Celtic vs. Saxon naming customs on opposite banks of the river Wye.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread