Louisa Green and her 3x grandparents (General)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 17:07 (1344 days ago) @ macast

This is the line which goes down through DRINKWATER and POYNER to Eliza POYNER isn’t it? Yes, I did have Richard PRIDDY and Grace JONES as the possible parents of Mary PREDDY who then went on to marry Thomas DRINKWATER. It was really the only candidate. I put it aside as a query because the FODFHT transcription had the marriage on 22 Feb 1768 and Mary PREDDY was baptised in 1759. In fact, there are four children baptised to Richard and Grace PREADY at Huntley and all in 1764 or before. I never followed it up. However, having done so now I see that the Ancestry image records the marriage on 22 Feb 1754, saving me from having to concoct a bizarre explanation for the anomaly.

As regards the location of Gloucester Cathedral it is possible that, for some reason, they did not want any publicity in the form of banns or use of a licence in their home parishes. The date was just before Hardwicke’s Marriage Act (into force 25 March 1754) so probably not an age-related objection from parents. Perhaps there was some other form of local opposition.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread