Louisa Green and her 3x grandparents (General)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Friday, August 21, 2020, 20:43 (1315 days ago) @ macast

I guess you have seen the baptism of a Grace JONES at Taynton in 1721. If she was the Grace who married Richard PRIDDY then she was about 33 at the time. The last child I can see was baptised in 1764 making her 43 and approaching the age where fertility declines significantly. Maybe this really was her last child. I have tried to find Richard’s baptism with no success yet; if he were to be shown to be much younger than her that might increase the average eyebrow height locally. We’re probably never going to find out why Gloucester Cathedral but it’s always interesting to speculate.

The only information I have about the DRINKWATER money is from the will of Thomas DRINKWATER (probate 24 Dec 1829). He was a cordwainer and therefore a skilled craftsman who might have made a good living. He evidently had freehold property (where he lived) and there are hints of other holdings as well. Yet the value of his estate at probate was marked as under £20. Estimates vary but that might be around £2000 today – not a fortune on first glance. One factor might be that he left this property to his daughter, Ann, (wife of Edward POYNER) for her lifetime and then to his grandson, John POYNER, for ever, in the form of a Will Trust. It’s not clear to me whether this would have counted in the probate valuation. The other factor is that he left his four sons a nominal one shilling each. This could mean that he had already made provision for them in his lifetime and had no need to do so in his will. All in all, I don’t think the probate valuation reflects his true worth.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread