Thomas Reed MATTHEWS from Ruardean (General)

by Susan Senders @, Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 22:38 (6828 days ago)

My great grandfather, Thomas Reed Matthews, b. 1867 in East Dean, came to the U.S. around 1891. He lived in LaSalle for awhile, then finally settled in Oglesby, LaSalle County, Illinois, and was eventually joined by his two sisters, Evelyn Mabel and Clara Annie. Two of his uncles, Tom and Fred Reed, also came to Illinois and settled in Braidwood, Will County. My g grandfather died in 1919 and is buried in the Oakwood Cemetery in LaSalle. His grave is in front of the grave of Selina Reed, daughter of William and Clara Reed who were also from the Forest of Dean.

I grew up in Oglesby and visit there at least once a month. Two weeks ago, I went to Oakwood Cemetery and was surprised to see so many familiar names on headstones--Gibbs, Reeds, Powells, Trumps, etc. It amazes me to think how many people I grew up with that are descendents of people from the Forest of Dean.

My surnames of interest are MATTHEWS, REED (READ), YEMM, BANNISTER. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has connections with the Matthews. I do know that my ggg grandfather was Elijah Matthews and that he married Harriet Bannister in Flaxley in 1842, but have not traced back any further. Thanks.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread