Courtney TROWER, Exeter. (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, January 28, 2012, 23:22 (4477 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Wow !!
Once again MPG comes up with the goods, welldone.

Without wishing in any way to knock your post, I think you've made an understandable typo error. The aforementioned photograph of the Trower memorial plaque (which is in the Regimental Chapel in Brecon I believe) has itself been incorrectly labelled as "VON Trower" when the Plaque itself reads "VOR Trower".
(I cannot find a definition for Vor, I did wonder if it is Dutch but ?)

If you Google say "Vor Trower Army" you'll get more hits, some from the London Gazette re his various awards & honours. More interesting is a couple of Forums including the Rorkesdrift one mentioned above, plus this one.
http://www.1879zuluwar.com/t2251-lt-c-trower-2nd-btn-24th-2nd-warwickshire-regiment

The poster confidently states "Courtney Vor Trower was born on 17th December 1856 at Exeter ... , Devon, son of Captain Frederick Trower 9th Lancers", so merely reinforcing MPG's ever-accurate findings.

He is also mentioned in this site which contains transcriptions of fascinating long & detailed letters sent home from SA by an educated soldier to his mother, believed to be from Courtney. http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=968

There's also a mention in the National Archives (apart from his Army life), collection of Letters from Sir Leslie Fry (ex Indian Army, Indian Government and HM Foreign Service 1928-1948) including one to his godfather Col Courtney Vor Trower.

Re searching for this elusive soldier, I wonder if there's some significance in the earlier quote that "our" Courtney Frower" was misreported in various newspapers including the prestigious Gazette as Frower, Frowan and even Freemen.
That said when searching the Latterday Saints site I did use such variations albeit without success.

Thanks again MPG for the interesting links.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread