Newland Baptist Church - FROWEN's (General)

by alvic25 @, Saturday, March 24, 2012, 18:59 (4421 days ago) @ alvic25

Further to my entry a while ago regarding Courtney Frowen, I have been given a little more information by the Royal Regiment of Wales museum in Brecon.

I mentioned that Alun Baynum is trying to update the book, "The noble 24th.(South Wales Borderers)& he has a letter written by this soldier describing the attack on Rorkes Drift in 1879. Unfortunately Alun does not have some important details, like exact place of birth, date of birth or baptism, compounded by the fact that Courtney is not likely to be the correct forename, but more than possibly an alias,(a common practice those days) Among the extra details are that "Courtney" was Baptised at the Baptist Church, Newland Street, Coleford & had been a scholar in the Baptist Sunday school. I have stated similarities before with the life of Charles Frowen, born 1860/61 at Crossways, Coleford & was not baptised until 1866 in Newland. They may have meant Newland St. - Is there another Baptist Church in the village of Newland itself?

Another anomaly was they were both Militiamen. Courtney maybe Monmouth Militia & Charles in the Rifle Volunteers-Coleford Company. Could someone have also got mixed up with this? Its a coincidence that Charles received no mention in any civil or military records after 1878, In other words if someone has knowledge this is incorrect then Charles could not be "Courtney," as the latter died in Natal in 1879. The other info give about him by the museum was he was a Miner at Waterloo Pit Brierley & after leaving the Rifle Volunteers he enlisted in Monmouth in the 24th Regiment on 5th July 1878 then arrived in South Africa on 21/1/1879. He was engaged against the Zulus & wrote his letter to his parents on 2/2/1879.

If only we knew his age or even a parents name it would probably solve all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Cheltenham

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread