COURTNEY FROWEN - FROWEN FAMILY - NEWLAND (General)

by alvic25 @, Friday, February 10, 2012, 18:21 (4465 days ago) @ alvic25

Chris W,Jefff,M P Griffiths & Slowhands,
Re my query about Courtney & your advice about looking at the birth index details of "Male" Frowen. These results may also be useful for your records & anyone else researching members of this family. I have just received the birth certificate, which states -
Born 27/7/1858 at Bridewell, West Dean.
Father William Frowen, Iron Miner.
Mother Eliza, formerly Williams.
Informant, Eliza Frowen on 2/9/1858.
According to the 1861 census, William was from Whitchurch, Herefordshire, born 1821 & Eliza, born 1827 in West Dean.
Just to refresh, Courtney was baptised at the Baptist church, Newland St. Coleford & had been a scholar at their Sunday school, no dates available. He was a Miner at the Waterloo Pit, Brierley & was in the Coleford Rifle Volunteers. He enlisted into the 24th Regiment, South Wales Borderers, at Monmouth, on 2/7/1878 & was attested on 5/7/1878. He arrived in South Africa, Jan 1879 & fought against the Zulu's, dying of fever at Rorkes Drift in March 1879. The difficulty here is that I am tending to believe that Courtney was a nickname & Alun Baynham, who is working for the Brecon Museum, is unable to verify his date or place of birth.
The above mentioned family from Bridewell on the certificate, are unlikely to be involved as "Male" Frowen, born 1858, ( & who we thought maybe Courtney),is not shown on the 1861 census. The youngest children of William & Eliza, were James born 1860 & Thomas, born 1856. The search continues & many thanks again for your help.
Regards
Rob

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread