Ancestors of Edward BALDWIN 1821 - Cornelius BALDWIN (c1794) (General)

by unknown, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 20:11 (4244 days ago) @ jimashton

Many thanks to Slowhands and Jim for all this information. I have information on the marriage of Edward Baldwin (1821) to Lydia. The marriage certificate reads as follows:

Married on 22 December 1839 in the Parish Church in the parish of Flaxley in the county of Gloucester. Edwin Baldwyn, of full age, bachelor, engineer, resident in the hundreds of St Briavel's, father Cornelius Baldwyn, engineer. Lydia Parsons, of full age, spinster, resident in the hundreds of St Briavel's, father James Parsons, collier. Both made mark. Witnesses Isiah Parsons (mark) and William Young.

I have 1871 and 1881 census entries for Edward as follows:

1871 census: EDWARD BALDWIN (age 52, head, engine driver at coal pit, born East Dean, Gloucestershire), Lydia Baldwin (age 50, wife, born East Dean, Gloucestershire), Louisa Baldwin (age13, daughter, born East Dean, Gloucestershire), Miriam Baldwin (age 7, daughter, born East Dean, Gloucestershire), Elizabeth Baldwin (age 4, daughter, born East Dean, Gloucestershire) and three lodgers, Edward, Eliza and George Hawkins.

1881 census: EDWARD BALDWIN (age 65, head, engine man at colliery, born Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire), Lydia Baldwin (age 62, wife, born Ruardean Hill, Gloucestershire), Miriam Baldwin (age 19, daughter, born Ruspidge, Gloucestershire), Elizabeth Badwin (age 13, daughter, born Ruspidge, Gloucestershire) and Edward T Baldwin (age 16, grandson, labourer at colliery, born Ruspidge, Gloucestershire). Living near Cinderford Iron Works, Tyler's Row, East Dean, Gloucestershire. RG11/2523/17/28.

From everything I've seen it does look as if the parents of Cornelius 1794 were Charles Baldwin 1755 and Elizabeth Dovey 1759. Interesting to see that Cornelius had 10 siblings but did Charles and Elizabeth really call one of their children Cheasey or is this a transcription error? You have Charles' parents as Charles 1737 and Betty - do you have a surname for Betty? I have a feeling that the parents of Charles 1737 may have been James Baldwin 1693 and Sarah Barnard - is this likely? In turn I believe James was the son of Charles Baldwin and Elizabeth Lamb who married 1681/82. I mentioned a number of public trees on Ancestry, one of these has Charles 1660 as Sir Charles Baldwin of Ruardean - is this possible or just wishful thinking.

Brian

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread