George Bentley POPE (General)

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 00:48 (3385 days ago) @ Jefff

Well well, interesting stuff, thanks chaps !

So is there still a chance he's "done a runner" with the income tax cash, or have I misunderstood Mike's post ?

Not sure that he's done a runner. The report in 1894 does not mention discrepancies in the accounts, just that they had not been made up. After the accounts had been completed by the accountant there is no mention of an allegation against George Bentley/Bailey Pope.

Seems he had been overawed by the volume of work, perhaps today we would call it stress.

Have searched for a death in the name of Pope, Bentley and Bailey, but, can find nothing that seems appropriate. Searched for emigration/immigration without success. In 1901 his wife describes herself as married, in 1911 she is a widow. I believe if a person is missing over seven years then they can be regarded as deceased. This may be why his wife said she was a widow in 1911.

There are three trees on Ancestry with George Pope. They all call him George Bailey Pope. None have anything after May 1894.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread