Major CP Ackers OBE (General)

by unknown, Monday, November 12, 2012, 09:59 (4183 days ago) @ unknown

Only just seen this, so it might be a bit late....

My father, John Bewick, was in in the RAF in Rhodesia after the second world war. He walked into the mess one day (he was about 28 years of age at the time) and saw on the notice board the opportunity for personnel who were leaving the RAF to train in forestry with C.P Ackers on the Huntley Estate. Along with his best friend, my father signed up....ans so began a lifelong career in forestry. After the one year training at Huntley under C.P Ackers, he signed up for a course in Estate Management at Cirencester.

The silvicultural practices that C.P Ackers promoted had a long lasting influence on my father, who became a forestry contractor and consultant, and a founder member of the continuous cover forestry group. In fact, it was very rare that he talked about forestry without mentioning the name of C.P.Ackers somewhere! My father died last year aged 89, and has left a collection of papers on continuous cover forestry that are now at the University of Bangor. The papers are about forestry practices that, having been seen to flourish so much under your grandfather's stewardship at Huntley, became the cornerstone of my own father's career.

All the best

Martin Bewick

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread