Son of Major CP Ackers OBE ? (General)

by John Martin @, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 21:37 (3887 days ago) @ John Studley

Hi John, how nice to hear from you again. We did make a brief contact a couple of years ago but my communication skills need honing.

You are right with Graham Jones; he who bought the maize yellow Ford Capri! His JW mate was called Sam if I recall correctly now.

My Cathedral Plantation query has been ably answered by Jefff and I will reply to him accordingly.

Other names I've been juggling who were at Huntley and around May Hill when we were there were
Norman Beard - I worked with him when I went to James Constance & Son turnery works at Longhope.
Johnny Beard? - He was the chap killed on a Saturday morning when winching a dead elm he was felling.
Frank Webley - the retired gamekeeper on Huntley who patrolled the cherry orchard shooting the song birds that ate the cherries.
Ted and Betty Hughes - I think you lodged with them in a bungalow in Huntley. Ted worked the extraction horse.
Nesta ? - who worked in the cleaving shed with Dennis Warren.
Jock Shelley - JP who lived in the village and Dennis Warren felled his tall elm in his garden.
Ted Walker - the tractor driver.
Dennis Munday - foreman at the sawmill and bellringer.
Sid Foley - worked at the sawmill. Wife Winifred wrote 'Child in the Forest'. He wrote a book too and I read a draft. His son was a gamekeeper on a Cotswold Estate.
Mike and Ginny ? - lived up behind the Manor.
Bert Knight - fruit grower; he had a 'K' plantation on the bank below the Rest Room.

Sorry, I'm rambling on a bit but it was a great time as a student.

How are your family, Paul, Felicity and your other sister who I cannot remember the name of?

Remember digging and processing Christmas Trees in Mrs Browns Plantation and me killing the black and white rabbit with a well aimed and thrown billhook?

Sorry folks, I guess this isn't the place to chat.

Regards

John Martin

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread