First World War casualty Frank Dent (General)

by dent @, Saturday, April 05, 2014, 07:30 (3681 days ago) @ Jefff

Many thanks for these recent postings about cause of death. I'm afraid I inadvertently introduced this confusion. I assumed rather than had evidence that Frank died of wounds, as he died in hospital, overlooking the fact that thousands of soldiers died from disease. I have a print-out of his medal card, which has no evidence of cause of death. As there is clear documentary evidence, I accept that he died of pneumonia, as recorded at the Boulogne Eastern cemetery and can only reflect on what was the underlying cause - wounds? exahustion? conditions? virus? I have downloaded the 8Bn war diary, which is extremely interesting, although,as expected, it doesn't mention Frank. The only soldiers named are either officers killed and wounded or those receiving bravery awards. The 8th Bn was involved in a major incident on the Messines ridge at the beginning of June 1917, in which 21 other ranks were killed and 88 wounded. I suppose it is possible that Frank was involved in this, but that can be no more than speculation. The war diary does, however, give a vivid impression of the life of an ordinary soldier at the front.
Christopher Dent

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread