Methodists, Joseph Hill & Dorothy Hale (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 17:10 (3666 days ago) @ peteressex

Hi Peter,
worry ye not about your slight forgetfulness, despite supposedly being younger than your good self I often forget things from only a few hours ago !
Now what was I going to say... ?

Oh yes, yes it does seem that Dorothy Ida Hale is your photo's subject. Sadly she doesn't seem to appear in later PRs, or on GlosBMD, although I think this might be her Marriage. I wonder if any more info can be gleaned from the local papers ?.

From FreeBMD; (her Birth was registered in Chepstow District too)

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1918 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hale Dorothy I Hill Chepstow 11a 33
Hill Joseph P Hale Chepstow 11a 33

So far I've been unable to find any records of likely offspring, or deaths, in the PRs, or FreeBMD, or GlosBMD, sorry. I've also been unable to find a local birth record for Joseph Hill.

???

Could this possibly be them, I wonder, from LDS;

"United States Census, 1940"
Name: Dorthy Hill
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1940
Event Place: Ward 1, Nanty Glo, Nanty-Glo Borough, Cambria, Pennsylvania, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race (Original): White
Race: White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Wife
Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
Birthplace: England
Birth Year (Estimated): 1896
Last Place of Residence: Same House
District: 11-125
Family Number: 291
Sheet Number and Letter: 17B
Line Number: 71
Affiliate Publication Number: T627
Affiliate Film Number: 3456
Digital Folder Number: 005456596
Image Number: 00312
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Joseph Hill M 54 England
Wife Dorthy Hill F 44 England
Son Clarence Hill M 19 Pennsylvania
Daughter Josephine Hill F 11 Pennsylvania

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQH3-Z2L

As you no doubt know Pennsylvania would have been an attractive place for settlers with metalworking or mining skills, particularly during the hard times in Welsh pits after the First War. Conversely Nanty Glo Penn experienced massive growth in the early 1900s as soon as it's huge coal deposits were discovered, the largest local mine being worked from 1915 until the 1980s. The town is named after and strongly linked with it's namesake in the South Wales Valleys. Interestingly ?, the first place of worship in Nanty Glo Penn was the Methodist Episcopal Church established in 1901.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanty_Glo,_Pennsylvania

Could your Dorothy and Joseph have emmigrated there I wonder ?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread