Methodists & Crump Meadow Pit, HALE family (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, April 08, 2014, 15:35 (3677 days ago) @ dent

Hi Chris, I'm pleased we appear to share similar views to our Family History researches. For some it seems to be a race as far back as possible, collecting names and dates in a blur. For me it's been all about trying to best understand the lives and times of my ancestors, particularly the fairly recent ones who I have known albeit sometimes only as a dim memory, but sadly never had the chance to ask questions of because they passed away years before any of us expected.

Regarding the forest dialect etc, by coincidence here's a post I wrote only last week for a fans' forum for the "football team" I've supported all my life, Hereford United. Also by coincidence, I too left the Dean aged 23, only to return for visits..

"Re accents, despite being born in the Vurrist I dont have the dialect (as a 70s Bilson kid our elderly neighbour spoke a language NO ONE else in our road could understand, including my mate's parents who taught English Language. Mind one was from the Valleys#.... My mum always grilled proper King's English into us, I then went to a Grammar School.
First time I heard myself on tape, aged 18, I actually thought that yokel wasn't me, I don't sound like that !

Today, after 30 years of picking up strains of Cockerknee and Yorkshire among others, I'm very proud and pleased to say I still have a rustic burr, many times people have mentioned it, Brits across the UK always know moreorless where I'm from, and they always like it. Local friends call me the Vocal Yokel, which I rather like."

Cheers Jeff.
ps I hope you found the Littledean School stuff of interest too. If you decide to employ Gloster Archives to research on your behalf, please consider updating us as to your experiences as I'm sure many of us are considering doing this from afar, thanks.

# this post was a joking reply to a friend from that area, where I spent three years at Poly and making friends. The neighbour in question was my bestman's father Mr Colin Evans who I've already mentioned on the forum a few times lately, a very strong-willed and opiniated man at times, but a lovely kind family man too; both of these qualities will be remembered by anyone he taught locally.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread