First World War, Frank Dent; Crawshay Employees Memorial (General)

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Monday, May 26, 2014, 19:27 (3629 days ago) @ Jefff

I'm very interested to see that there are three 'William Evans' on the Crawshay Memorial in Cinderford St. John's - has anyone researched the names on the memorial? I only ask because I have a William Evans in my family tree, and wondered if one of them could be 'my' William.

In my case the person concerned was William Thomas Evans, born 1892 (which would be the right age to fit with WW1 service). His father was Walter Evans, a blacksmith, originally living in Broadoak, and his mother was Ellen Evans (nee Wood) who died in 1894. The 1911 Census shows William living with his father and step-mother Alice in Mousell Lane, Cinderford, aged 18, and his occupation is given as collier (hodding). Also resident were brothers Arthur Henry (aged 21) and Osmand John (aged 19) - also both colliers. The family connection is that William Thomas' sister was my great-grandmother, Lilian Maud Evans.

Thus far I've not been able to track down military service etc - it doesn't help that this is a very common name. If anyone on here has any leads I'd be delighted to hear from you!

Janey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread