Cold Harbour (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, June 08, 2021, 01:24 (1015 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Following on from my last reply, my gut feeling is that you will discover that William and Charles Court (at least at the time of the 1841 Census) were living almost side by side in the village at the base of the Castle, Their houses would not have been far from The George Inn (which still exists today). My reason for stating this is that the George Inn is situated on plot 389 which will not be too far from plot 394 which William occupied and plot 393, described as a "house, shop and garden" ,owned by William but occupied by Charles in 1840. (Their entries in the 1841 Census also place them as neighbours).

In the Gloucestershire Tithe Apportionment data base mentioned previously, it is possible to shuffle ALL of the plots of land in St Briavels numerically from 1<. When the Tithe maps were drawn consecutively numbered plots of land were generally (but not always) side by side.

Taking the numbers either side of 394 (William) and 393 (Charles) and comparing the names of the occupiers from the data base mentioned to the names in the 1841 Census listed before and after William and Charles, it should be possible to get a pretty close feel for where they lived.
Caroline Gardener lived in plot 392 (not owned by William). In the 1841 Census she was a School Mistess and her entry in the Census is two after Charles. Also listed with her are all the students at the school.

If you can find close entries for a known landmark, such as "The George Inn" and "Crown Beer House" then this could also help.

At the beginning of the 1841 Census Enumerators Book where Charles and William are listed, it states that the area covered was "all of the Village of St Briavels and Eastwards of the Turnpike Road to Coleford".

British History on Line also has a pretty good description of the extent of the village in 1840.

Have fun.

Sid Toomey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread