Benjamin SMITH 1876 -1946 Joyford Emigrated to NSW Australia (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 09:59 (898 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

This post is mostly to see if i can follow Peters post on how to attach photos successfully.
As an example i am using an Ancestor of mine, Richard Toomey/Tummey who had a lease on a a cottage on Birdwood Common at the beginning of the 19th Century.
Late in the 18th Century he and his father, also named Richard, had the misfortune to be caught stealing sheep. The crime occurred after transportation to the Americas had ceased but before transportation to Port Jackson in far off Australia had commenced. Both of them went into Gloucester Castle Gaol to serve their seven year sentence but records discovered so far indicate only one came out.
The following attachment hopefully will show the location of his cottage which was also described in British History online as well as a newspaper report which accurately plotted the location of his cottage. I believe the location now is a fishing lake.
The map is an extract of a 1840 pre Gloucestershire enclosure map courtesy of "Know your place Gloucestershire".
https://imgur.com/a/CVcB6Tt

I hope this works.

Sid Toomey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread