Smith's Emigrated to Australia (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Friday, December 03, 2021, 22:51 (871 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

If you wish, let me know the most promising of the clues to follow up as well. I have some details of George Smiths from Newcastle during WW1 taken from Trove newspapers site which give brief details of ones returning from the war injured or completed service of killed in action. Just to eliminate them or the clue just might be the trigger to link them.

Remember that if George's friendship was closest to Amos rather than Frank or Benjamin, in 1913 Electoral rolls (and then until the end of his life), Amos and Jemima had moved to North Balmain, a Sydney Suburb so Georges records might be centred in Sydney, rather than Newcastle.

There is an unopened WW1 service record for a George Smith whose next of kin lived in Balmain, age is close, so a slim chance that could be him. However he enlisted in a small town South West of Sydney which doesn't seem like it would be him except that it did have a history of Gold mining, although this was in decline by 1913.

Talk about a needle in a haystack

Sid Toomey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread